Thursday, May 19, 2011

crappy interview.

Have you ever had a crappy interview before? I have.
I'm not going to name the company, or the person because I don't want to seem ungrateful for
the opportunity or anything.

Anyways, so I was interviewing for this awesome internship with graphic design here in provo,
and it was for a paid position, which is not a normal thing to find!
The first two rounds of interviews went really well. The guys were really interested in my
portfolio, so I thought, and they seemed really hopeful that I would get hired.

I got invited back for a third interview for wednesday. I kind of psyched myself out, so Chris says.
This interview was with one of the owners of the company and so it was kind of a big deal
you know what I mean!? So rightfully so I could be nervous.

Well, yesterday came and it was time to be interviewed. I showed up at said place
a few minutes early. Found out they were running behind schedule. Ok,
no big deal, I had no where else to go. I was finally lead into the room where I was going to
be interviewed. I sat, and sat, and sat. 

FINALLY the owner came in. He had a sense of being pushed for time about him.
Not a really great vibe to get when being interviewed. So he sat down and said to me that he didn't
take time to read over my resume and to tell him about myself. First off, I hear that asking that question
is illegal for employers to do. So I started to tell him about myself. (Secretly I hate when they ask that question because I never know what to say to them!)

He then reached for my portfolio and started flipping through so fast that I couldn't even explain each page. It made me really frustrated. Then he asked me about school and how much longer
I had left and what my experience was with design programs. 

Then to top it all off, he asked a question he wasn't really supposed to ask at all.
He asked me when my husband and I were going to start having children.
Uhh ... excuse me? I don't think he really needs to know that thank you! 

I had to wait a total of 45 minutes, and the interview itself didn't even last for 5 minutes.
The whole time he was interviewing me I also got the vibe that he had already chose who
he wanted to hire. So annoying. I was so irritated that he wouldn't even give me a chance to prove
that I am fully capable of working at this said company as a graphic design intern.
Stupid.

Sorry ... this post ended up being longer than I thought, but I was so bugged about it. To top it all off I got the "thank you for taking the time to come in ... we can't hire you" email this morning.
Go figure.

Hopefully something will come along soon? I hate job hunting. It's so frustrating sometimes!

2 comments:

  1. okay so i had a very similar experience last week. i met with the ceo of a company after a great first interview and he ended up being a jerk. he asked questions he shouldn't have and made me feel like i was worthless. he truly was a huge jerk. and the best part... he told me i would hear from him the next day...a week and a half later i've heard nothing.

    so don't worry, you're not alone. but don't you wish you could report them or something! good luck job hunting...i know just what you are going through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Bad interviews are the worst.

    I do have some advice. Majoring in business, they give us tons of information, and I'm the kind of person who loves tips. Anyway, I used to hate the "Tell me about yourself" question too (that one's not illegal). However, I read in an article that it's really your chance to take charge of the interview and say whatever you want to say that they're probably not going to ask. Going into it I don't know how you could have foreseen what happened, but I would recommend next time mentioning a favorite design and then showing it to them in your portfolio. Choose one that means something to you, and it'll be a great transition for the rest of the interview.

    The other question he asked is completely illegal, but I don't know what can be done about it.

    Good luck on your next one!

    ReplyDelete